Thursday, September 23, 2010

Week 4 Blog

     I think that spreadsheet is a very useful program.  I love the fact that I can do a lot of things for my classroom in just one place.  Spreadsheet is very easy to use as well as convenient, it takes less time to organize your thoughts and design your worksheets and tests in the way that you want them done.  You don’t have to worry about spending a lot of time positioning everything the way you want it, the program does it for you.  I know that this will be a very useful and almost required tool in my classroom.  Excel is a very easy program that is used very frequently in agriculture to evaluate and track animals and business. 
     We use spreadsheets in the classroom because they are very efficient to store grades and make worksheets.  As a teacher you don’t have as much time to make tests, lesson plans and keep a grade book; spreadsheet makes this easier and allows for more time to be spent developing a curriculum.  Spreadsheets are a lot easier than calculators because all you have to do is type in the equation one time and it calculates all of the grades at one time.  It is a very time conscious program and also helps to avoid error a lot  better than a calculator and has a quicker input time. 
                I think the three primary functions of spreadsheets are all very useful. Calculating comes in handy when doing grades; it helps you to store and organize your information to keep it in an accurate form.  I also like that it is almost an interactive program that you can do with your students.  I love Excel and I believe that I will use it very often in my classroom.
 Sources
Jonassen, D. Howland, J. Marra, R. M. Crismond, D. (2008). Maeningful Learning With Technology. Upper Saddle River, NJ. Merrill Prentice Hill

2 comments:

  1. Spreadsheets work just as well for music as they do for agriculture. I think that speaks to the program's versatility and ease-of-use. While it's not completely easy, anyone with a little training can use it. It's a great tool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think spreadsheets are a useful tool as well. I also think excel is easier to use than word in some aspects. I agree that excel is easier and makes less errors than using a calculator. I plan to use it in my classroom.

    Britanie Talley

    ReplyDelete